key sticks

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 28 May 2005 19:45:25 -0700

Don't know for sure but I think they probably just drilled for the front
rail pins in the wrong place.  Afterall, the location of the pins is
meaningless except that it centers under the mortise.  Another good
plate indexing job too that got the capstan back far enough that they
needed seven keyleads at F1.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Kent Swafford
Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2005 5:46 PM
To: Submit technical files to ptg.org
Subject: key sticks

I'm sending along 2 pictures of the F1 keystick, B 342631. Note the 7
original key leads, and the non-original leather key bushings. But
why I'm writing is the interesting location of the wear in the key
bushing from contact with the front rail pin. The whole set of keys
is similar, and under certain circumstances the front rail pins do
indeed bind on the front of the mortise. (This explains a few things!)

Any ideas out there with regard to what happened? It looks like the
mortise is in the wrong place by just over 1/16". Anything else to
watch out for? I know, I know -- watch for  _everything_. But it
probably is just the mortise in the wrong place, right?

Kent

Photos at:

http://tinyurl.com/cyygq

http://tinyurl.com/ao697