Self voicing hammers/work hardening

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Sun, 29 May 2005 11:16:34 -0500

David,

Cool.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

It's nice to know there's another heretic out there (hey, if that's where it
needs it---that's where it needs it!).  :-)

Barbara

----- Original Message -----
From: "Porritt, David" <dporritt@mail.smu.edu>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2005 10:27 AM
Subject: RE: Self voicing hammers/work hardening

Barbara:

I've hung two sets of Wurzen Ronsens but both went into practice room
pianos.  I have not hardened them at all as I expect they will come up from
use.  The balance is indeed very good.

I've had somewhat longer experience with this felt on our CFIIIS that we've
had since 2000 and those hammers need very little attention.  When voiced
they seem to stay voiced longer than Renners - the other hammers I tend to
use.  I am a strike point voicer which makes me a heretic and these respond
so well to that.  On other hammers voicing the strike point is usually a
short time thing and they come up quickly.  With this felt it doesn't.  I
don't know why or how.

I'd really recommend ordering a set as I can't think of a possible negative
outcome.  If you can voice any hammer, you can voice these.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University