OT Axim 5

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Mon, 30 May 2005 01:22:22 -0400

Hi George,

The problem is that your batteries and charging system are too "smart" =
for their/your own good.  There is probably a bit of (il)logic at foot =
here.  The way it works is that some circuitry somewhere monitors power =
flow in and out of the battery, ordinarily (?) giving the computer the =
ability to make some very good educated guesses about how much power is =
left (at least early in the battery's life).  The problem is that the =
software and/or firmware that monitors and records energy usage can =
actually have bugs.  (I know that's hard to believe!) =20

A bug can quickly render a perfectly healthy $200 lithium battery pack =
with on-board logic circuitry completely useless.  DAMHIK.  Consider a =
discharged battery that the computer thinks is 99% charged.  The =
computer will add 1% charge to reach the "full" 100% (or so it thinks), =
and then it will stop charging.  Then after 1% of the capacity of the =
battery is used (the last 1%, that is), the battery will die, and the =
computer will go down.

I'm not familiar with your particular type of computer, so I don't know =
specifically how to advise you, but you might try a complete =
shutdown/reboot of your computer.  That may mean that you need to do a =
backup first.  You might also try removing a battery that the computer =
says has completely charged, finish charging it externally, and =
reinstall it.  Then the computer's "perceived" charge state would be =
accurate.  Your friend can probably provide you the appropriate type of =
charger.

If the battery pack (is it a pack??) has its own on-board logic =
circuitry, then it will identify itself to the computer, so that the =
computer can keep track of multiple battery packs.  For this reason, it =
is hard to straighten out such a problem by playing musical batteries.  =
If there's no on-board logic circuitry (e.g. on a battery with only two =
terminals), then this wouldn't apply.

If there's on-board logic circuitry, another approach can be to =
absolutely, completely discharge the battery -- dead, dead, dead.  This =
causes the logic to become amnesic.  Then charge the battery externally. =
 The logic will come up refreshed and hopefully less schizophrenic.

Other than that, there's some searchable info on the web, perhaps even =
for your specific computer.

Have fun!

Peace,
Sarah

PS If anyone has found out how to remedy this problem on a Toshiba =
Satellite system, please tell me how!!

  ----- Original Message -----=20