Fish Glue...was jack spring to wippen glue

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 30 May 2005 09:24:38 -0700

Richard Gullion said: "Fish glue....half the price of cold hide =
glue..same features...taks faster..ong shelf life"

Yikes! I thought I got rid of that dumb idea! If you want glue joints to =
fail, just use fish glue! It is a very poor substitute for hide glue. It =
will fail in moderate to high humidity situations, every time.
I got a free piano, many years ago. On putting it on the dolley, the =
bottom board fell off! By the time I got it down the long ramp, (over =
stairs), the sides had fallen off, taking the key bed with it. The only =
thing that was still on the dolley, was the back and the action dangling =
from the action bolts! On investigation, it was put together with FISH =
GLUE!! Over the years I've had similar situations with that stuff. Do =
not use it....ever.
I've done many experiments on various types of glue and found hide glue =
to be superior to all others, when used/prepared properly, especially in =
action work.
'Nuff said.
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police