Fish Glue...was jack spring to wippen glue

Richard Gullion pianoguy@rogers.com
Mon, 30 May 2005 13:19:04 -0400 (EDT)

We were talking about gluing in a little spring...not refabricating the case. Try not to over react, Joe, its not good for you.

Joe Garrett <joegarrett@earthlink.net> wrote:Richard Gullion said: "Fish glue....half the price of cold hide glue..same features...taks faster..ong shelf life"

Yikes! I thought I got rid of that dumb idea! If you want glue joints to fail, just use fish glue! It is a very poor substitute for hide glue. It will fail in moderate to high humidity situations, every time.
I got a free piano, many years ago. On putting it on the dolley, the bottom board fell off! By the time I got it down the long ramp, (over stairs), the sides had fallen off, taking the key bed with it. The only thing that was still on the dolley, was the back and the action dangling from the action bolts! On investigation, it was put together with FISH GLUE!! Over the years I've had similar situations with that stuff. Do not use it....ever.
I've done many experiments on various types of glue and found hide glue to be superior to all others, when used/prepared properly, especially in action work.
'Nuff said.
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I