woe on the boat,(block epoxy)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 31 May 2005 12:43:43 -0400

------=_NextPart_001_00F5_01C565DE.610A7EB0
Wow Ed, indeed, a weak moment! Good to see you are tough enough for it =
though!

Pinblock. I assume the plate is out of the piano (how else did you =
remove the soundboard?). Plug the block with plugs cut from pinblock =
material of your choice. Webb Phillips sells Delignit and maple =
multi-lam 1/2-inch and 3/8-inch plugs. Some people drill the same size =
hole, use Tightbond and pound them in. I drill an oversize hole and =
epoxy them in place with West System. Make heap strong pinblock. =
Pinblock look like crap, but get real solid - just like new (or in this =
case, likely better). If you want the full story of all my trials and =
tribulations on using epoxy in such a case, just holler. Picture of =
epoxied-in pinblock plugs (square grand).

Terry Farrell

SNIP
> The block is the last real task to deal with. The block comprises=20
> the upper portion of the sounding assembly and there was no way to =
remove it=20
> without completely destroying the piano and starting from scratch.=20
>    The piano was strung with atypical tuning pins, (at least, in my=20
> experience).  They are .250" diameter and only 2 inches long.  These =
are smaller than=20
> any piano pins I know of, and larger than the zither/harpsichord pins. =
 The=20
> dainty little plate doesn't encourage me to drill the holes out to =
accomodate=20
> the 1/0 pins, and they are all too long,anyhow.   I can only imagine =
re-using=20
> the originals.  There was marginal torque on quite a few of them prior =
to=20
> disassembly, so I want to treat the block before driving them back. =20
>    I have, against all my "traditional" training, become a fan of CA =
glue in=20
> the treatment of loose pins, but I wonder if I can't do something a =
little=20
> more extreme with this block.  I know that some of you have used the =
West System=20
> epoxy in block repair, and would like to know what your technique is.  =
The=20
> block is a solid beech beam with two very thin laminations on top.  =
Any ideas? =20
> Thanks,=20
>=20
> Ed Foote RPT