Chinese

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:54:56 +0200

Hi Mark

Thats what they told you eh ?

Well,,, what do I know ?  Lets see tho... China... post maoistic period,
half a big toe in the capitalist world the rest mired firmly in
communist thinking .... workers get a better deal then they do in
virtually every western country ?   All this and the net result of such
a work-force aggreement yeilds a highly qualified group of craftsman
that can put out a product at 1/10th the price as workers elstwheres in
the world ?  I'm sure this kind of worker treatment is common over all
of china and explains why their economy functions on a level that allows
a westerner to come in with one months pay and live like a king for at
least a year.

Something doesnt add up here with this rosey picture Mark.  Either Pearl
River employees are several hundred times better off then the average
chinese factory workers... or they showed you the garden path in your...
how long did you say you were there ?... stay there.  I've been in
eastern asia too... and I know.  The poverty levels apparent in some
places make theTiaJauna slums look like the Plaza Hotel.

Understand me correctly tho Mark.  I make no direct accusations relative
to any specific factory.  I just know that groteske worker abuse is
rather rampant in much of Eastern Asia and that westerner consumers and
interests have  fantastic capabilities in classic denial imaginable.
Makes the proverbial three monkeys look like Saints Peter, Patrick, and
Petrocia.

Cheers
RicB

-----------------

I don't know what the conditions are at other Chinese factories but at
the Pearl River factories they work an eight hour word day, 240 days a
year, about what we work here in the USA.  Plus free medical, mid-day
meal, transportation to and from work, paid vacations, and retirement.
The average worker has the same purchasing power of a worker doing
similar work here.  The actual dollar amount is less, but the everything
is a LOT cheaper in China.  Any worker that wants to is free to seek
work somewhere else, nobody forces anybody to work where they don't want
to.
I've been there, and I know.

Mark Wisner
(A grateful employee of Pearl River Piano)