Measuring soundboard thickness

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Sat, 1 Oct 2005 11:55:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dean,

I saw the same feature on apiano by Darrell Fandrich
(Del's brother).  It was a nice piano!

http://www.fandrich.com/

Vladan

I've always been intrigued by the routed groove I've
seen around the
perimeter of a Seiler soundboard. If you were
rebuilding a piano with
otherwise good board but the panel was thicker than
what you wanted, I
wonder what kind of results you could achieve by
routing a similar
groove. In such experimentation it would certainly be
helpful to know
what the panel thickness was.

Has anyone tried such a technique? At least around the
tail area and
bass side. It seems it could yield results similar to
floating the board
in the bass area.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359