Chinese

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Mon, 03 Oct 2005 00:01:01 +0200

Baoli.

I see we are forced to agree on disagreement on the subject matter of
workers conditions in China.   I realize you have your perspective on
the matter, but mine is drawn from my own experiences in eastern asia,
and on the work of several independant agencies like the one posted that
research and document such things.  You say I am wrong about chinese
piano workers.  I might point out I never said anything at all
specifically about chinese piano workers conditions, I only raised the
general point that workers conditions in China and elstwhere in eastern
asia vary greatly and it (should) behove us to think twice about how
the  products we buy are produced.  That you decide to take this as a
direct attack on the Chinese Piano industry tends to give credence to
the conclusion that you are a bit sensitive on the issue.

As for the hundreds manufacturers of pianos in China.  I will grant you
that I have experienced directly only a handfull of these. I will also
affirm that without exception all of these are what I would characterize
as junk at worst, a bad musical investment at best.  Yes,  at this point
I feel confident that this represents the general state of the art in
China, and I also feel that this is to be expected given the short
history of piano manufacturing in China.  I also once again underline
that I fully expect China to develop into a major player in the
manufacture of quality pianos  (grin... and probably every other
industry as well)

---------------------

You ever claimed"The majority of instruments coming
out of China, Indonesia, Russia, and Malaysia just
plain dont work." do you think it is a proper way for
a professional technician to judge piano qualities by
nationality?

You misrepresent me here Baoli.  I in no way judged pianos by
nationality.  I simply asserted a fact.  That of those instruments that
have been made available (in this part of the world at any rate) from
those countries, the majority of them just plain dont work.

There are at least a few hundreds of
piano brands ever made in China,not to mention other
brands made in the rest countries,I am wondering how
many asian piano brands you ever worked on or even
heard of? do you feel confident to claim that the
majority of instruments from a certain country "Just
don't work"??

I am trying to be honest and disspassionate about these things. I
pointed out how similar criticisms can be pointed at even American
interests. I underlined that I fully expected Chinese instrument
building to improve as time goes by, and that in the not so distant
future one should expect decent quality instruments to be readily
available from China.  I most certainly stand by every word I have
written, and in the most earnest of freindly ways insist on disagreeing
with you as to the state of the art and state of general working
conditions in China at this time. If you wish to argue the later with
me, please do so off list and be able to supply counter documentation to
the many many critical observations made by organizations of the sort I
posted links to just yesterday.  I am most certainly open to any good
reading on the subject matter.

Cheers
RicB

Thanks!