phone diagnosis

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 13:44:00 EDT

In a message dated 10/3/05 10:07:00 AM, jajones2@wisc.edu writes:

> Charges $$$.=A0=A0 My lawyer charges for phone consult.
>=20
> Or, is it good will?
> No doubt I will be making a service call, so roll a few more $$ on the
> bill.?
>=20
>=20

I would never charge anyone for advice given in a phone call.   And I happil=
y=20
give advice on the phone to anyone who calls.  =20

Last week a woman called to tell me her keys were broken.   I asked if all=20
the broken keys were right in a row, and she said, "Yes".   I said, it's=20
probably a pencil that got stuck in there.   She laughed and said, "A pencil=
!"   Then=20
she started to look.   "I don't see anything in there...wait a minute...I=20
feel it!   There it is!   Man, you're good!"   She still booked me to come a=
nd=20
tune her piano, but I would never think of adding any money to the bill for=20=
the=20
phone advice.   For that matter, I wouldn't charge her for removing a pencil=
,=20
if all I had to do was reach in there and take it out.

But if I felt as if I were being taken advantage of somehow, like you=20
apparently do, then I simply would stop giving advice on the phone.  =20

They can't make you do it.

Tom Sivak
Chicago