Anyone using UFO CA glue?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 06:30:05 -0400

David Skolnik wrote: "Of course, I could be wrong"

Whereas anything is possible, I suspect you are pretty much right on =
with your post. I've gone through OSHA health & safety training for =
hazardous material handling and for closed space entry and everything I =
was taught is consistent with what you've written. Especially germane is =
what you wrote about the respirators.

Excellent post. Thanks.

Terry Farrell
    From: David Skolnik <davidskolnik@optonline.net

    As explained to me by two technical people from Loctite, which =
manufactures a wide variety of CA and other adhesives, their Odorless =
formulation (408 Prism brand Instant Adhesive) accomplishes its =
odorlessness through a fornulation that has a heavier molecular weight =
than the odor-ful versions.  This weight keeps any fumes from rising to =
nose level.  This is measured as Vapor Pressure.  The exposure limit for =
this formulation is set at the same level as the regular product, which =
is 0.2ppm TWA.   The odor is perceptible at 1-2ppm and irritation occurs =
at 3-4ppm.  Which means, if you can smell it, you're already over the =
threshold limit.  We discussed the difference between allergic response =
and irritant response, the later being the issue in most cases.  =
Allergic response is found more in skin contact than respiration.

    While the MSDS advises use of approved respirator, the document's =
author indicated that such dependance is strongly discouraged for a =
number of reasons.  OSHA regulations require that:

    - Any respirator, apart from its appropriateness, must be properly =
fitted, (sorry, no beards allowed :()
    - Worker must pass physical to confirm ability to tolerate =
respiratory strain associated with pulling air through filter device
    - Ambient atmospheric moisture will cause fumes to polymerize on the =
mask's surface, rapidly restricting the available air flow

    Bottom line...respirators are not a desirable solution to CA fumes.

    Only truly advisable method is to generate air exchange.  Simple air =
circulation, as with a fan is NOT advised, since it will distribute the =
fumes, though, if the space is large enough, and the elapsed time is not =
prolonged, a fan might work to displace the fumes from the immediate =
area of deployment.

    As to the post from Dorothy Bell, I can't address the chemistry, per =
se, however, the issue of respiratory irritation and the ensuing =
reactions seems to present itself at lower dosage than would be required =
to cause any symptoms of cyanide poisoning.  The MSDS indicates a =
concern for the material as an irritant, not as a toxin.

    Bottom bottom line - Fumeless is better, fresh air is best.

    Last bottom line - MSDS for Accelerator indicates central nervous =
system irritant.  The residue left after solvent dissolves is, in a =
word, nasty.  I've been way to cavalier in my use of this stuff.

    David Skolnik
    Of course, I could be wrong