Mona Lisa effect

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 08:00:31 -0400

"If it doesn't have 12,011 genuine Steinway parts it isn't a Steinway"

I've often wondered if the Kelly plate (accounting for half the mass of =
the instrument!), the Kluge keys, the Renner action and the Mapes =
strings have been counted among the 12,011 "genuine Steinway" parts.

Terry Farrell
  David M. Porritt wrote:
  =20

  I've been asked this question "Is it still a Steinway" and as I said =
before, I can only admit I don't understand the question.  I've been =
thinking today that there might be the Mona Lisa effect here.  You can =
like the Mona Lisa or not, your choice.  However as the most widely =
recognized work of art ANY change to it would be considered defacing it. =
 Is this what these people are asking?  Do they think that Steinway =
makes 3,000 Mona Lisas a year and that any change is defacing?  Steinway =
promotes this idea with their ads ("If it doesn't have 12,011 genuine =
Steinway parts it isn't a Steinway").  Is this what they are thinking?