Mona Lisa effect

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Thu, 06 Oct 2005 07:53:59 -0500

> Well, Steinway owns Kelly and Kluge now so they are genuine.  The Mapes
> strings and Renner parts………I don’t know.  I’m just curious if this is
> what people are thinking when they ask the “Is it still a Steinway”
> question.  Do they really think we’re drawing a mustache on the Mona
> Lisa?

I'm not sure they're thinking at all. Common knowledge is that
Steinway makes the ultimate piano, so any changes from presumed
perfection have to be either negative, or unnecessary. The less
people know about pianos, the more this attitude prevails. At least
that's my experience. It's like the old "Graphics applications
require a Mac" computer mantra. The basic premise is widely accepted
without question, and those accepting it are relieved of the burden
of having to learn different.

>If so, you have to admire the marketing effort that built this image.
>
> dp

Absolute genius!

Ron N