Mona Lisa effect

Dempsey Jr., Paul E dempsey@marshall.edu
Thu, 06 Oct 2005 08:53:49 -0400

What I'M thinking is that they had 12,011 chances to get it right in the
first place.

pd

I've been asked this question "Is it still a Steinway" and as I said
before, I can only admit I don't understand the question.  I've been
thinking today that there might be the Mona Lisa effect here.  You can
like the Mona Lisa or not, your choice.  However as the most widely
recognized work of art ANY change to it would be considered defacing it.
Is this what these people are asking?  Do they think that Steinway makes
3,000 Mona Lisas a year and that any change is defacing?  Steinway
promotes this idea with their ads ("If it doesn't have 12,011 genuine
Steinway parts it isn't a Steinway").  Is this what they are thinking?

dp

David M. Porritt

Paul E. Dempsey, RPT
Piano Technician Sr.