Mona Lisa effect

david@davidandersenpianos.com david@davidandersenpianos.com
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 23:48:31 -0400 (EDT)

> I was going to come into this thread from a different angle (smart a$$ as
> may be), but let me just echo the question - what is the best way to sell
> very high performance remanufactured piano?
>
> Terry Farrell

Oohhh...thanks for the big fat slow pitch, Terry:

The best way to sell a high-performance instrument is to develop a network
of trusted clients, teachers, high-end pianotechs, and other referral
sources, and be able to show your instruments in a calm, focused
atmosphere with no sales pressure whatever.  It's a very, very small
niche---I'd say 1-2% of the piano-buying public, but it's there,
especially in or near major urban areas.

If that niche becomes aware that someone is selling performance-enhanced
instruments that sound and feel better than the hand-built factory
instruments, and that that someone is honest and fun to deal with, and is
not going away---the word starts to spread.  If the small seller of
remenaufactured instruments has a perfprmance space and can attract
artists to perform, record, and endorse the pianos, so much the better.

Perception is everything in marketing.  If the seller starts to be
perceived as a "value giver," someone who adds value to the business and
to the community, and starts to be perceived as a friend to the artist,
the word starts to get around, and eventually the problem and challenge
becomes not "how are we gonna sell these?" but "where are we gonna get the
pianos to satisfy the demand?"

This is my vision and plan for the LA Atelier; it seems sound.  We're just
getting started, but I'm going to be doing this until I kick the bucket,
so I'll let you know if I'm right in a couple years. <g>

Seriously, you guys, please understand that little guys like me need your
support. I'll be selling
Steinways and Mason & Hamlins with Erwin boards (with Wheeler panels,) and
Bellieu custom-designed actions. Dale has pianos for sale at the Atelier
that he did all himself, as well, and we may offer remanufactured
instruments by other top rebuilders.  And maybe, just maybe, a very, very
exclusive, hand-built new instrument starting sometime in 2006.  Stay
tuned.

David Andersen