The Nossaman Steinway (was rebuilders..)

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Fri, 07 Oct 2005 20:39:43 +0200

Hey.. I can buy that way of putting things every time.  An expression of
personal preference is an honest and straightforward statement that
demands respect IMB.   Given the respect I have for yours (and others on
the list) capabilities, that kind of statement wheys in pretty heavy in
my mind.  Comparisons on an equal playing ground with others is as good
a way as we have at getting a concensus about <<how good>> the
instruments are, and I am afraid we are limited by that.

Got to thinking about this racing car analogy, and since you bring it up
as well... consider this.  Guys who rebuild stock cars for the
specialized use of various kinds of sporting events... from demolition
races to Indy cars to monster trucks.... they dont spend a lot of time
hacking away verbally at one or another manufacturer do they ?  They get
on with it.  On the other hand... lots of times the manufacturers are
standing their right behind some of these guys giving them all kinds of
degrees of freedom for the promotional affect of having their name on
the wining car....  There is a thought somewhere in there applicable to
pianos me thinks.  Imagine a different kind of piano competition... not
about the pianists... but about the piano.   Stock Bosendorfer with
special modifications by Erwin, The Overs 225 in a Samick case with a
modified Samick plate,  A Farrel double cuttoff TI vibramassive Fazioli,
and a Trichord eliminator D+  by Nossaman....  played at  four
successive concerts at Carnage Hall in da Bronx by the 4 best pianists
in the world.  Prize... 1 million USD to be dealt up according to points
given by the 4 pianists.  The New York Open ... or something like that.
Heck.... with the right hype its a sure hit !  Might even get some
interest pumped back into the piano world.

Well,,,, as I said in my last... its fun to dream anyways

Cheers
RicB

-------
Ric
    Ok throw out better, but how bout I enjoy  the musical expression of
this
 Custom Restored beauty over the  other.  Perhaps an A- B comparison of
your
favorite music played on a  really good stock D Stwy piano  sitting next
to a
Nossaman , Fandrich  , Overs, Erwin  or whoever re-designed it , Stwy D,
would
allow for a fair  but subjective comparison. Better is just an opinion
after
all but it should be  based on features, quality of construction & most
of all
performance  enhancement of the whole Beast. Custom stuff usually takes a
product out of the  realm of hype & into the  realm of folks who are
willing to
prove it at  the starting gate. They don't race horses/cars/boats etc for
nothing
  Know what I mean?
  Dale Erwin