Bridge repair (was: Pinblock glassing)

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 07:49:55 -0400

>>Marine-Tex...It's great stuff for rebuilding split bridge surfaces too.
>Would you care to elaborate?  I have a customer with a bass bridge
>that is just starting to show cracks at the pins, no budget for  replacement.

Something like that, I'd try to arrest the development of the cracks with CA
or a thin, liquid epoxy.

The bridge repair I mentioned in a previous post was the top half
octave's front pins.
The pins drifted to perpendicular and left quite a chasm. I pulled
the pins, chipped out
the loose material and forced-filled the gully (heating bridge and
epoxy). Once the epoxy
cured, I dressed the surface, drilled for new pins, renotched and
replaced the old strings.

My 2 pound pin driving sledge received a large chip in the handle. I
filled and sanded
and it's still solid after 20 years. I've even used it to patch
divots in the concrete floor (a good
use of excess epoxy). My bench top is riddled with spot-fills in
slices, dents, chips and holes.

--

Regards,

Jon Page