"zero friction" bearings

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 09:09:03 +0200

Hi Stephen

Just musing but... it strikes me that the friction free bearing points
are at the outset would preclude any kind of termination needed to
connect the string to the bridge. The string would just vibrate against
the wood of the bridge... buzzing like crazy for each downwards cycle.
Also... since the initial part of the wave motion is more akin to a
traveling wave the pulse traveling down the wave would just travel right
through the area of the string that contacts the bridge.... nothing
would be there to reflect it backwards... the same could be said of
whatever contribution longitudinal wave motion in the string has.

One other thought... when this traveling pulse hits the present bridge
it doesnt seem likely  (to me) that the resultant motion introduced to
the bridge is all that much in a direction perpendicular to the string
plane.. i.e. "up and down". More likely it would seem to me that a
strong force pulse along the string plane hitting the bridge would tend
to want to move the bridge in the same plane.  Intuitively, we tend to
think the bridge will resist any such sideways motion with great force
because of the way its attached to the soundboard.... that would require
the whole soundboard.. (and case) to start vibrating along the string
plane. But we are dealing with extremely small distances here... and it
strikes me that it is likely that this is exactly what happens during
that first couple milliseconds. The transition the string goes through
from this initial wave action to standing wave behavior is mirrored by a
similar transition in the vibratory motion of the system (piano) as a
whole.  At least my own sense of senseability brings me to think along
these lines :)

Cheers
RicB

Stephen Birket writes:

Conversely you need some friction (aka pressure bar
bearing angle) to protect the speaking length from instability in the
front length, however it may originate. So add to my hypothetical
piano with friction-free bearings perfectly stable front (and back)
lengths as well.

To deflect one possible argument against, namely that the strings
would be unstable during hammer impacts, I would respond that: (a)
during the impact the string is not vibrating as a standing wave
anyway, so instability of tension is irrelevant,