"zero friction" bearings

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:26:45 -0500

Dr. Birkett,
Reminds me of how fun high-school physics was...the ideal piano, h'mm...

 >To deflect one possible argument against, namely that the strings
would be unstable during hammer impacts, I would respond that:
(a) >during the impact the string is not vibrating as a standing wave
anyway, so instability of tension is irrelevant, (b) the
conventional >configuration traps any change in tension in the
speaking length, therefore the effect from hammer impact is greater
than it would be with >my hypothetical piano, since changes in
tension from the piano will operate over the entire string length,
including the front and back >engths, so they have less influence on
the speaking portion. In fact, from (b), the longer the non-speaking
length portions the better, >contrary to conventional wisdom.

Any idea how that would sound, how different from a 'regular'
piano?  How would speaking into those other lengths more freely
change duplex sounds?  How would you avoid buzzing at the bridge?

I've taken to seating strings over duplexes, front & back, to reduce
excess noise.  Works well, follow this with seating at the bridge and
be ready for a huge drop in speaking length tension.  DAMHIK

Andrew