Remedial String Leveling

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 21:44:56 -0500

Thanks, Joe.  Tool #1 looks good, I'll give it a try.  Now about #2, how =
would this be different from the Mannino lifter with the nicely machined =
groove for lifting?  I guess I'm a spaz or maybe just a weakling, but I =
just can't get it to work for me.  It does, however, make really =
impressive sounds when it slips.  :-)

Barbara (maybe it's a girl arm or hand strength thing) Richmond, RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joseph Garrett=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:10 PM
  Subject: Re: Remedial String Leveling

  Installment #2.<G> I'm sending each, separately, so's not to go over =
the size limits.<G>
  This tool is made from a piece of Brass Bar Stock, 1/4"x3/8". The bend =
is done "cold". (Put it in a vise and hit it with a dead blow hammer.) =
The grooves are simply cut with a regular hacksaw, which should give you =
a groove that will accomodate most string sizes.  Cut the grooves about =
1/16" deep. Grind to get the clearance to access the middle string(s).
  The way this tool works, is to simply put it on the string and =
push/pull with very little effort. Go easy, as this tool will give you =
"massive" results!!! I usually use this tool, over all others, as it is =
so effortless and controllable. Pull to raise the string. Push to lower. =
I usually place the tool about  1/2" from the agraffe to get the desired =
results. Have fun.<G>
  Installment #3 is next. (a side view of this tool).
  Regards,

  Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I