Remedial string leveling

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:09:22 -0500

Avery,
Piano Tek sells them, essentially a lever with a nylon tip that is
mounted on a wooden base that can slide on the key-bed.  You check
the tip for level and augment the base with punchings and tape if
necessary and then lift the strings from underneath.  Quite helpful
for lifting the front duplex.  Eliminates a lot of noise.  I also tap
down just back of the front bearing.
Not too good around the agraffes, particularly if substandard.  You
might want to leave the curve in the apostrophe's wire if it leaves
you closer to level.
I've decided to use it only at the capos where I was satisfied with
what it accomplished.  Much faster than trying to hook each
one.  When I checked level at the agraffes and then had a hard time
getting them close I decided to strictly use a hook only there.  Some
of those higher strings might not get anything.

Andrew