Here's a new one

Dempsey Jr., Paul E dempsey@marshall.edu
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:43:55 -0400

Yesterday I had occasion to tune a Yamaha U1 upright for a lady that just moved into my area from a town upstate (Fairmont WV). She said that her tuner in Fairmont, a former coal miner, said that it was imperative that her piano be "de-tuned" before being moved to protect the soundboard, plate, etc. from damage due to the strain and jostling brought on by the move.

Sure enough, every string had the pitch lowered almost completely slack, just enough tension to hold the coils in place!!

And he charged her a full tuning fee to do it "€ŠæË߇..."

What a mess....the mind reels:-(

Even though this yutz is out of the mines he's still in the dark.

Paul E. Dempsey, RPT
Piano Technician Sr.
Marshall University
Huntington, WV