Katrina Update

John Delmore jodel@kairos.net
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 14:10:06 -0500

Hi, all:
I've been off-line a couple of days, no internet service.  Even though we
didn't get a drop of much needed rain here in the Shreveport-Bossier City
area, we, too, are feeling the impact of Hurricane Katrina.  Last I heard,
we have about 25,000 evacuees in the area, and more on the way.  The natives
have been great:  this morning, the shelters asked that people quit bringing
physical items (blankets, pillows, etc) because they have all they need.
The real need now is for financial contributions.  The evacuees cannot
access any funds they may have in banks.  Many of them simply have no money
for telephone calls, laundry-the bare necessities.  The schools here have
been granted a waiver on class-size limits, and are accepting the displaced
children.  Local business have contributed over 1.5 million dollars in cash
and goods/services already, and many are doing more.  We are planning on
these people being here for at least a month.

If you are at all able, please consider contributing to the relief of these
people-Red Cross, or any other trustworthy organization.  I would especially
like to recommend to you the Northwestern Louisiana Interfaith Pharmacy.
This is a free pharmacy here that my parish church supports throughout the
year (with both money and volunteers).  They are taking a leading role in
filling prescriptions for the evacuees at no cost (to the evacuees, that is,
much of their stock is donated, but they still must purchase a lot).
Donations can be sent to:

The Northwestern Louisiana Interfaith Pharmacy
1725 Elizabeth Street
Shreveport, LA 71101-4502
(318)  425-3553

If anyone knows of guild members (or relatives) who are displaced into the
Shreveport-Bossier area, please let them know that they can contact me at
(318) 286-8451 (cell, working right now, but kind of iffy), or between nine
and five at (318) 222-1974.  I will do all I can to help.  I could probably
put up a family of four (It ain't the Hilton, but it's a lot cheaper!).

And most of all, pray for those in need.

John Delmore