trimming new pre-cut damper felts for S&S

Byeway222@aol.com Byeway222@aol.com
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 14:32:26 EDT

Hi Michael,
Welcome back to the Old Country.
The dedicated sets of damper felts for different models of Steinway are
already angled unlike the usual Renner boxed sets.  However, I recently  replaced
the split-wedge felts on a model 'D' and found them to be not very  neatly
cut.  In fact, for cosmetic reasons (the vertical cut was not even  from piece to
piece, even though I used them in order).  I took five  of them off again and
replaced them. A bit disappointing when you are trying to  do a pukka job.
I am currently fitting a set of Andre's Wurzen Renner hammers to a 1974
Bechstein 'B'.  Beautiful looking hammers with Bechstein green  undercovering.  I
assume you are getting your hammers from him?

Ric