hammer "throw" on hard blow

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 09:36:40 -0700 (PDT)

I just had to deal with too much gap between the
"birdseye" on hammer shanks, and the "ears" on some
replacement flanges sent to me for this 1870's
Chickering "Brown" action. ( In this action, the
"birdseye" and "ears" are on the opposite pieces, as
from modern pianos ).
  As more replacement parts were not available, I
dealt with it by making tiny Mylar washers to fit on
either side of the center pin, between the ears. I
punched them out with a small Tandy punch ( about 1/4"
) available from a "Michael's Crafts" chain store. The
smallest die ona  revolving pliers-type punch then out
the hole in the middle. Not fun, but very effective.
     Thump