hammer "throw" on hard blow

David Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Sat, 03 Sep 2005 04:22:12 -0600

gordon stelter wrote:

>I just had to deal with too much gap between the
>"birdseye" on hammer shanks, and the "ears" on some
>replacement flanges sent to me for this 1870's
>Chickering "Brown" action. ( In this action, the
>"birdseye" and "ears" are on the opposite pieces, as
>from modern pianos ).
>  As more replacement parts were not available, I
>dealt with it by making tiny Mylar washers to fit on
>either side of the center pin, between the ears. I
>punched them out with a small Tandy punch ( about 1/4"
>) available from a "Michael's Crafts" chain store. The
>smallest die ona  revolving pliers-type punch then out
>the hole in the middle. Not fun, but very effective.
>     Thump

 Wow... the lengths we have to go to sometimes.  Also infamous are the
double flanges made to supposedly fit old Steinway uprights.  They
don't.  The birdseyes are too wide for the ears of the flange, which
have to be filed down.  (If the birdseye is filed down, it increases
friction if the butt rubs against the inside of the flange)   --Dave N.