acceptable pin torque (grey market)

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 13:04:46 -0500

Don,

Would there be one brand you would recommend more than another? ;-)

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Donald Mannino
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 12:56 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: acceptable pin torque (grey market)

Patrick,

These can be sticky situations.  My best advice to you is to bring your
tuning lever to the next tuning appointment (hopefully in the winter)
and take real measurements.  Having the customer complain to the dealer
about loose pins now would probably not be productive, but if they turn
out to be way low in torque next February I would either call / visit
the dealer yourself with the numbers, or let the customer call them with
the hard data.

Some pinblocks tune OK with only 60 inch pounds, but I think most people
feel 80 is a reasonable minimum number.

Maybe they'll eventually see the benefit of buying a nice new piano
someday ;-)

Don Mannino