soundboard buzz

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 15:15:57 -0500

Hi Brandon,
=20
Young Chang had a similar problem several years ago. The fix given to me
by then service manager Don Manino was to apply thin CA glue at the
joints. It works and I have used it many, many times since. CA is short
for cyanoacrylate, or super glue. You can find high quality stuff in 2
oz bottles at your local hobby store for about $8. It comes in 2 or 3
viscosities. Use the ultra thin stuff.=20
=20
Remove the lid and the hinge plates left on the rim. Tip the piano up on
its side like you were going to move it (lay a blanket on the floor
first). Then apply the CA glue. First, while your bottle is full, squirt
some glue around the rim to soundboard joint. Even where the joint is
upside down or vertical this is a capillary glue and it will suck into
the joint. Then apply a bead to each rib joint at the top. Apply enough
that it runs down the full length of the rib with some left over running
down the belly rail/soundboard joint, or the soundboard to rim joint on
the bottom.=20
=20
Then go around to the other side and apply some to the treble bridge to
soundboard joint and the bass bridge to soundboard joint.=20
=20
It really only needs to be applied to one side of the joints. If there
are any voids the capillary action will suck the glue all the way in.
And it does not take a huge amount of the glue. Just enough to wet the
joints. You may see areas where the glue is obviously being sucked into
a void. Give those areas a little more glue.=20
=20
Then wait for 10 to 15 minutes. You might want to get the accelerator
spray when you buy the glue. Apply the accelerator after a good 10
minute wait to set up an glue that hasn=92t hardened yet. Otherwise when
you set the piano up it may run down onto the floor.=20
=20
In this application I like to let the glue set in the joint for awhile
before spraying any accelerator. It gives the CA time to interact with
any glue that is in the  joint and to soak into the wood fibers.=20
=20
If you read this list long enough you will find many uses for CA glue.
Just today it was recommended for low torque tuning pins.=20
=20
Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272