soundboard buzz

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:29:54 -0600

Tighten all plate screws.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: J. Brandon Robertson=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 1:03 PM
  Subject: soundboard buzz

  Hello everyone.  I'm new on this list.  Hopefully some of you can =
offer some advice about this.I've only been tuning for about 2 =BD years =
and I'm trying to learn to do small repairs as I come across them.  This =
is something I don't know how to fix, and I'd rather ask than cause =
damage by trying something that might be bad for the piano.

  =20

  A piano I tuned today is buzzing around the middle of the soundboard =
in the bass section.  It buzzes loudest when I play C#3 and buzzes a =
little on a couple of other notes.  I looked and can't find any cracks =
in the soundboard, but it sounds like wood on wood.  The buzz stops =
completely when I apply pressure to the top of the soundboard and also =
if I push up on the ribs in that area.  The client just bought this =
piano brand new about three weeks ago.  The brand is River.  It's under =
warranty, and I'm wondering whether he should just send it back and get =
another one.

  =20

  I felt bad having to tell the client that his brand new piano is =
buzzing, and I wish there was something I could do to fix it.  Would =
some sort of really thin shims work?  How about just trying to get some =
glue above the ribs in that area?  Any advice you can give me would be =
appreciated.

  =20

  Take care,

  Brandon Robertson