Repinning Tip was Re: Steinway double flange fitting to butts

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 21:31:35 -0500

I get tired of fussing with pin, press, flange, and birdseye--trying to align the parts and insert the pin without trying to ram it through hard rock maple--so I have a foolproof little system. (And it works for me which proves that any fool can do it.)

I run a thin, straight piece of piano wire, or a smooth round burnishing tool, through the whole assembly, then pull the wire back while guiding the pin through the first side of the flange and slightly into the birdseye. Then press the pin on through, pushing the wire or tool the rest of the way out. The wire/tool keeps everything aligned so the pin centers every time, and it's fast.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Garrett
To: pianotech
Sent: 09/03/2005 8:29:20 PM
Subject: Re: Steinway double flange fitting to butts

David Nereson said: "Also infamous are the
double flanges made to supposedly fit old Steinway uprights.  They
don't.  The birdseyes are too wide for the ears of the flange, which
have to be filed down.  (If the birdseye is filed down, it increases
friction if the butt rubs against the inside of the flange)   --Dave,
Don't file it, sand it. I use 320 on  sandpaper file, (Joe Garrett Special Order- - available to all. end of commercial.<G>)
Once you've sanded to fit the flange, use a fine countersink to put a "dent" in each side of the birdseye. This makes the pinning alignment easier.
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I