Repinning Tip was Re: Steinway double flange fitting to butts

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 21:07:01 -0600

Hi Alan,
That is why I keep my 18 center pin slot full.
I call it using a chaser pin. <G>
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan Barnard=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 8:31 PM
  Subject: Repinning Tip was Re: Steinway double flange fitting to butts

  I get tired of fussing with pin, press, flange, and birdseye--trying =
to align the parts and insert the pin without trying to ram it through =
hard rock maple--so I have a foolproof little system. (And it works for =
me which proves that any fool can do it.)

  I run a thin, straight piece of piano wire, or a smooth round =
burnishing tool, through the whole assembly, then pull the wire back =
while guiding the pin through the first side of the flange and slightly =
into the birdseye. Then press the pin on through, pushing the wire or =
tool the rest of the way out. The wire/tool keeps everything aligned so =
the pin centers every time, and it's fast.

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, Missouri

    ----- Original Message -----=20