Adjusting back rail dip

Robin Stevens pianoman@westnet.com.au
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 08:04:32 +0930 (Cen. Australia Standard Time)

 AF. there are four or five large screws.The heads are secured by a round
head screw overlapping the large screws head. This allows the rail to be
raised or lowered at four or five places. It is a very quick way to adjus=
the dip providing the keys are identical dimensions.=0D
=0D
The back rail pianos sometimes had front touch washers or a strip of felt=
stop the key from snapping in the middle.=0D
=0D
I personally remove all the back rails if I am doing a major regulation.
Plus, the rail is normally made of a good quality hard wood suitable for =
all
sorts of odd jobs that need a small piece of hard wood.=0D
=0D
Some of the old German pianos had a rail that had to be cut off with a
circular saw and had no adjusting screws, so the adjustment was packing t=
he
felt where needed. =0D
=0D
Regards=0D