Hammer sanding ,machne

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:45:03 EDT

Carl -- David  I.
  After using many forms of electric sanding  devices I don't see how I can
take a un -shaped set of new hammers &  effeciently design a  hammer shape with
this tool. Perhaps that's not  what it's use is for. I currently use a small
sand cat  belt sander  & more recently  a Makita hand held belt sander with a
1 inch wide by  18" belt. It's a bit awkward & dont' recommend it for anything
but gang  filing when shaping new  hammers held in a gang clampm  in  a vise
with plenty of clearance.
  I do however use the makita on hung hammers  when trying to do huge amounts
of shape redesign & felt removal  but I  just do the rough work with the
tools & finish with 80 thru 400 grit paper.  Short of that the foredom works bset
for this particular job as one can focus  all the attention to shape on one
side then the other & lastly the  top.
  my guess is that Joe's tool is extremely  effective for the applications it
was designed for such as upright actions....  Right Joe? Or splain it further
to dense heads like me. Maybe I need  one
  Just my 2 cents.
  Dale

Carl,
so it goes back and forth...how do you get a particular shape?    I'm think
of a worn hammer where I want to bring the shoulders down and not  the top.
How is that accomplished?
David I.
David, just push the sander fore and aft to sand only on side of the  hammer.
 Press down to sand the top.  Rotate the sander and push  side to side to
clear waste felt.  You need to do this since if you don't  the felt will clog the
paper and stop working.  Fifty or sixty grit is  good for speedily removing
felt.  For smaller hammers I usually squeeze  the blades with thumb and index
finger to sand only the sides.   Remember that this tool is basically  roughing
it in.  As Nick Gravagne said in a class "We're just shoveling  dirt".  Final
shaping and squaring is done using standard paddles or your  favorite
procedure.
Carl Meyer PTG assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.