hex socket bolts

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:24:27 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0007_01C5B318.99CBBB60
As far as I know the only tests done on this subject were by Lee Valley tools
and WoodenBoat magazine. In general they found that withdrawal strength was
moderately higher with untapped holes.

Del

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
David Love
Sent: September 01, 2005 7:22 AM
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: RE: hex socket bolts

Terry:

Where did you get the long hex bits and the red handled T driver.  Also, what
size do you drill before you tap?  Can these screws be driven in after the hole
is drilled?  After all, I do press in new capstans, though the wood in keys
tends to be somewhat softer.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net