hex socket bolts

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 07 Sep 2005 00:19:05 -0500

> As far as I know the only tests done on this subject were by Lee Valley
> tools and WoodenBoat magazine. In general they found that withdrawal
> strength was moderately higher with untapped holes.
>
> Del

I'd think that would be dependent on the compliance of the material
the bolt is going into, and the diameter and thread pitch (read
thread depth and interference fit) of same. Pressing relatively
smaller diameter capstans into sugar pine, basswood, or spruce in
keys, and pressing relatively larger diameter plate support bolts
with considerably deeper threads into hard maple aren't going to
realistically equate. I'd much prefer drilling a smaller diameter
pilot and tapping with either a real tap, or a modified all-thread
substitute and getting a high degree of thread contact in the rim,
than drilling a pilot big enough to press or drive the bolt straight
in and sacrificing much of that thread contact. Realistically, those
plate screws aren't under a lot of stress, so I  guess it's more a
matter of a belt and suspenders overbuilding security thing, but
that's my call.

Ron N