Miscellany/Yamaha Cord Flanges

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 21:36:58 -0500

Now dang it, I don't understand this at all ...

Just when I think I've got ol' Joe pegged--even making fun of his upbringing--he makes this post with not one, not two, but three absolutely great little tips/tricks!

Maybe that one brain cell IS still active, ya never know. But this much I know: Some of this stuff will find it's way into our chapter newsletter, 'cause I publish the thing and I like it what you wrote.

Now, Joe, one little thing I didn't quite get. This bend in the wire: Is it moving the lead closer to or farther from the front of the piano?

And by the way, Joe and all, please never, ever take offense at anything little old me ever says in my silly little old posts (even if it is all true).

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Garrett
To: pianotech
Sent: 09/07/2005 8:37:24 PM
Subject: Miscellany/Yamaha Cord Flanges

Y'all
Just finished replacing a set of Yamaha Upright Cord Flanges. Several things you might be interested in. First, the set of flanges from Yamaha were very consistant in regards to pinning/bushings.<S> One thing I did notice on the flanges was that the new cord material "wicks" the glue and will have a little bit of stiff cord off the end of the flange. This "stiff" cord will rub against the birdseys fly cut if you don't mash it down a bit. Could've been a problem later, if I hadn't noticed it! <G> Also, a trick about Aluminum rails was learned on this one: When extracting the screw with the cordless screwdriver spin the screw a couple of extra revolutions and the self tapping screw that they use will make a "countersink" that makes finding the thread a real breeze! The first couple of screws, I really struggled with until I discovered this thingee! Yahoo!<G>
Enclosed is a "Jack Depressor" that a good friend, Orville Milburn, (Of Milburn Guitars), invented. It's made of a piece of very thin welding rod, (brass/?), two fishing weights, (flattened around the wire) and a small piece of player tubing. As it's difficult to get it to stand up on it's side, on the scanner, I'll just tell you it has a bend about an inch below the hook to make the "weight(s)" pull down on the Jack Tongue in a straight line. cheap and easy to make. Although I consider it too bulky for tool kits, I use it, exclusively in the shop, as it works soooo much better than the little spring thingee that most, (including me), have.<G>
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I