Chrome versus Nickel plated tuning pins

Ken Streetman ken@kspiano.com
Wed, 07 Sep 2005 20:01:32 -0700

Jurgen Goering wrote:

> Just to throw in another option:  There is a German tuning pin maker
> called Biene (Bee brand), who is realtively unknown in North America.
> These tuning pins are considered by many to be the finest ones in the
> world, even superior to Diamant (Diamond) brand. They make a special
> line of pins tuning pins which are golden.  I don't think they are
> actually gold plated - seems to me that wouldn't stand up too well.
> From what I can tell, it is strictly a visual thing.
> So there  you have the whole spectrum: blue, nickel, chrome and gold.
>
> Jurgen Goering
> Piano Forte Supply
> www.pianofortesupply.com
>

> On Sep 7, 2005,  RicB wrote:
>
>> I  have no idea about chromed pins...  but I've never quite
>> understood the hulabaloo about blued vs nickle. At least not when it
>> comes to their functionality.  Nordiska pianos used a blued pins I
>> could swear must have been made with some metal combination that made
>> them more flexible.  Felt weird.  But otherwise it always seemed to
>> me that differences in pianos tuning <feel> had more to do with the
>> pinblock and how much torque there was then anything else. I always
>> use nickle because they dont seem to rust as easily.
>>
>> As for whether or not chromed pins are <<better>>...  grin... just
>> how are they supposed to be better ?
>>
>> Cheers
>> RicB
>>

>>> / Advertisers are touting chromed pins as better than nickel plated
>>> pins.
>>
>> />/ Anyone out there actually used these?  Are there worthwhile
>> differences?/

Just from what I know from working in the plating and coating industry
for 10 years before starting a in the piano business chrome is more rust
resistant as far as the gold this would be a TIN coating or something of
this nature. The TIN coating is also very rust resistant it is often
used on drills  end mils and inserts in the machining industry.

Ken

K S Piano