Appointment Books

Thu, 8 Sep 2005 07:09:49 +0100

Hello Matthew

I simply use an 11" x 7.5" week-to-view appointments diary by the
answer-phone. It never leaves my desk. I never make appointment without it.
All my appointments are made by phone. I do not use cards. I used to
transfer every new appointment to the PC and take a print-out of the days
schedules out with me. Now I'm semi-retired I don't do that. I use a  5" x
3" card index system and take the days' cards out with me and fill in any
relevant information about the piano and about the client - children's names
and age etc. When the days work is complete I file those cards in a-z order
under the month they will next be due. When a new month starts I take out
those cards and file them a-z under the areas where the pianos are. I use
any client who phones as a catalyst to where I shall go any day. I make
phone appointments only three or four days in advance - then the client
usually remembers I'm coming. I get very few "no-one-at-home" visits. I
developed this system about 25 years ago and have had no reason (apart from
dropping the computer entry bit) to change.

I used to tune 8 - 10 pianos a day and the computer print-out was very
useful - clipped onto the dash-board of the car. With map-books of the area
I was to visit I never got lost.

Regards from a beautiful sunny morning in The Village.

Michael G.(UK)

  _____