Piano Tipping

Larry Fisher larryf@pacifier.com
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 08:29:28 -0700

I've moved a few in my day, and have seen a few tip over.  The last few =
I can remember, a blonde upright tipped over in the trailer and wedged =
itself halfway between up and over  ..........   frontwards.  I never =
heard a thing and pulled over after I remembered I hadn't strapped it =
in.  No damage.  Pads protected the already compromised finish and the =
insides still worked well.

The other one I can remember went over backwards off the ramp I was =
pushing it up from about a foot or two off the ground to the lawn.  A =
soft landing aided by my derma-donation found recorded upon my right =
arm.  The piano lid took a hard hit smashing the wood on the corner =
opposite my position and the usual launching of cabinet pieces went for =
a small tour.

The repair went well.  My refinisher made the corner like new, the =
insides responded well to repairs and the cabinet pieces were not =
damaged seriously.  I had the piano inspected by 5 RPT's and submitted =
to the customer their approval of my assesment of the piano's condition.

All went well, I haven't heard from the customer since.

Ah yes, a school piano, studio sized flipped backwards, retuned and =
fixed some pulled out screws in cabinetry and all is well.

In short, I've not seen serious damage result from a piano dropping to =
the floor as a result of not being strapped in or from similar =
conditions.

Lar