Broadwood & Sons Grand Damper Assembly Removal

Rick Bazemore tunericks@yahoo.com
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 14:21:57 -0700 (PDT)

My question for today is: Is it possible to remove the damper assembly (dampers are under the strings) on a Broadwood 9' grand (late 1890's) in one piece.  I got as far as removing the 4 or five screws that holds the assembly in place, but once I tried to remove it, the damper felts would not clear the back of the plate/pinblock area.  Surely there is some way to get the thing out in one piece?

Rick Bazemore

PS:  This is a nice piano that is remarkably "intact" and was rebuilt about 40 years ago.  Supposedly it came out of the Chapel at Emory University. The physician owner told me today he would like to sell it to someone as a possible rebuild project due to the fact that the pin block is shot.  Anyone interested in this piano please let me know.