suddenly, a click

tom driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 08:04:30 -0400

    Dean May said: "Just wrapping up working on a YC action that has =
been in my shop about 4
    weeks. After assembling it I notice a distinct click when the jacks
    reset. It appears some errant chemical vapor from the shop has =
hardened
    the jack stop felt causing a slight noise on the reset.
    =20
    I'm thinking perhaps a couple drops of water/alcohol/surfactant =
solution
    might do the trick to soften the little round piece of felt.  =
Anybody
    have any input?"

    Dean,
    Just finished surveying/tuning/fiddling with a YC with the same =
darned problem. Made in 1999 and it sounds like a tap dancer!!! Yikes! =
It is the Jack Regulation Stop Felt. It is way too hard. I perused it =
and all are the kind of felt that some use for understinging felt or key =
end felt. Waaaayyy to darned hard. The only solution I can think of is =
to replace with a much softer punching. Anyone else, have thoughts? BTW, =
this is a Pramberger Series, that should be better, IMO. I wasn't =
impressed.
    Regards,

    Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
    Captain, Tool Police
    Squares R I   =20
       =20
    Dean ,Joe,and the rest of the posse,
        I'm coming in a little late here ,but have noticed this symptom =
on some asian grands.
        I agree with Joe, These little things are like rocks!
        I replace with a supply house punching of the closest thickness.
        (Wurzen coming to a neighborhood near you?)
        My suggestion esteemed colleagues is to remove the hammer rail =
with the hammer assemblies still mounted ( first indexing it's position) =
..
        This allows each whippen to be raised high enough to expose the =
jack regulating button-punching.
        A quick slice with an exacto, then glue the new punching back on =
with the glue of your choice (I use tightbond ) drop it and move on to =
the next. Rough in the jack position, reassemble and regulate  the jack =
to the knuckles.
        Advantage here is that the travel paper stays put and the job =
can be done quickly.
       =20
        Tom Driscoll RPT

       =20