President's Message

J. R. White jrwhiteltd@msn.com
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 08:39:54 -0700

Amen!

Ross White

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Mike Kurta
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2005 8:13 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: President's Message

    Dear Kent:

    In reference to your article in the latest PTG Journal, I have to take
issue with your comments and please allow me to suggest a better system.

    1.  When a customer complains, one should listen with a sympathetic ear,
not an  argumentative, defensive one.  A "dreaded callback" is in reality
information that requires serious attention, not excuses or blaming.  Like
doctors who listen to patients who know their own body, we need to listen to
customer's concerns about their piano.

    2.  The first step should be an immediate return to the job in question.
A client expects the tuning to be right and has paid you for that
expectation,  but how complaints are handled are the real mark of a
professional.  A suggestion of "guaranteed tuning" might be better replaced
by a desire to achieve customer satisfaction promptly.

    3.  The desire that clients use  one technician for all their
instruments is a valid one but can only be achieved by techs performance and
trust earned, not automatically expected after the first meeting.   If one
expects to serve this client with "pianos all over the building,"  it would
make sense to try to please rather than pre-judge.

    To assume the tuning was fine (which it probably was) and that the fault
lies with the piano or  the person complaining, might be premature.   To
devote the conversation to boasting about ones reputation and methods is a
turnoff and counterproductive.  Allow the customer to find this out by your
performance over time.  He/she perceives a problem and our job is to respond
in a kindly,helpful way putting other things aside until it is resolved.
This would be my "better system."

    Mike Kurta