President's Message

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:25:27 -0500

Thanks. I was wondering how bad a beating I would take for my piece.
If others have comments, I'll collect them into a follow-up column.

I fully admit to some cynicism with regard to customer satisfaction.
The same tuning/service/behavior from a tech at different
appointments will generate different customer reactions in a
seemingly random manner. Some will be happy; some will not; and I see
no way to avoid the unhappy ones. I had a customer suggest that my
bass tuning was off  as I was performing the tuning. Are we the
tuning experts or are we not? I won't alter a tuning to its detriment
to please a customer; customers should be willing to play my tuning
and give it a chance. Maybe they will like it after a full tryout.
The point is if I immediately return to a piano as the result of a
callback, when I get there we may still disagree about whether the
tuning is good. An optimist would say I might turn the situation
around by showing good faith and willingness to serve by returning. A
cynic might say, the customer will end up trying somebody different
anyway, so an immediate return is pointless.

You see, part of my problem (I'm admitting an attitude problem here)
is the feeling that I can pick up clear cues from new customers about
whether they are desirable customers or not. If a customer doesn't
feel it is important enough to be around when the tuning is over,
especially if they feel it's OK to question a tuning, may not be the
best customer. Another example is a new customer who is a no-show; I
have a policy of not rescheduling no-shows, except for fully
established customers. I broke my policy once for a customer who
happened to live close to me. Never again; she called back after two
months and a change of seasons to express her dissatisfaction with
the tuning. You can say I should have immediately returned to the
piano; I say I never should have gone out in the first place.

Ah, the life of the service pro.

Kent