President's Message

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 21:55:25 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Ric Brekne
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2005 5:49 PM
To: pianotech
Subject: President's Message

Kent Swafford writes:

 I won't alter a tuning to its detriment
to please a customer; customers should be willing to play my tuning
and give it a chance. Maybe they will like it after a full tryout.
The point is if I immediately return to a piano as the result of a
callback, when I get there we may still disagree about whether the
tuning is good. An optimist would say I might turn the situation
around by showing good faith and willingness to serve by returning. A
cynic might say, the customer will end up trying somebody different
anyway, so an immediate return is pointless.

-------------------

I gotta admit... this snip is even more disturbing then the first post.

First let me say that a customer has a perfect write to their
preferences. If one is dealing with someone who has some real sense of
what they want... tuning wise or soundboard wise or whatever wise...
then its our job to attempt to provide that for them.  If we as a tech
do not wish to provide that service for any particular instance then
fine... fair enough... leave it and go.  An instance of this is
historical temperaments... but it just a well applies to a stretch
preference, or even something as specific as a single note.  Our only
task in such instance is to deem whether or not the customer is serious
minded or not.

I have an older lady that for whatever reasons likes the highest section
of the treble tuned very high.  Its quite strange really, starts at E7.
All of a sudden her <<tuning curve>> steepens radically.. way off the
chart.  But thats what she likes.... thats what gives her satisfaction.
(ETD's are great for finding out this kind of thing).  Clear cut...
<<detrimental>> (according to my tastes) or not... who the heck am I to
impose upon this lady my definition of what sounds right ?

no no no no no....  People have a right to like what they like, be it
historical temperments, low basses, high trebles, old flatened and
thined out soundboards, this make or that.  We have no rights whatsoever
in defining to the world about us what others should or should not
appreciate.  If a customer is sincere in there desires.. then we should
be sincere in our willingness to help provide those.

JMT
RicB