President's Message

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 11 Sep 2005 01:35:08 EDT

I realize that this is a slight diversion of topic, but I wanted to share
this anyway.

I tend to err on the side of caution, and return to the scene of the  "crime"
at a time that's convenient for both myself and the customer.  Most  often,
it's pretty soon after the original service call.  I've had people  say that
the bass in their Acrosonic doesn't sound in tune....I usually explain  that
there isn't alot to be done about that one...

I had two call-backs in the last week and a half.  Both lived close by  and I
was able to drop by at the end of my day to check on the pianos.   Both were
complaining of funny buzzes, neither of which were there before I  tuned the
pianos.

The first job had included a string replacement.  I began to get  defensive,
because the piano was overly bright to begin with.  Then I  listened more
closely to the notes that the customer was complaining  about.  Sure enough, heard
a nasty buzz emanating from the bottom  of the piano.  Turns out, there was a
small piece of the replaced string's  coil resting hidden from view next to
the pedals.

The second one was a new Kawai grand that, when I got the call, I thought  it
was just a unison that had drifted, by the way it was described to me.   But
it indeed had a funny twang on B4.  I isolated the strings one at  a time, and
found that the middle one was buzzing.  I seated the strings,  then pushed
down on the front-side of the agraffe.  Cleaning up the  termination got rid of
the sound.  The sound was not there when I'd tuned  the piano, but the weather
has cooled considerably and gotten more humid in the  last week.

Both customers were quite happy and I'm certain they will remain customers
for a long time.

As long as there is a possibility of some funky noise or other problem  being
my fault, I will make a return trip.

IF it's a matter of a tuning being "off", I usually try to go back and see
if there is a problem, and explain the susceptibility of a piano to
environmental change(which I had probably done to deaf ears at the original
appointment).  Sometimes, as Kent is saying, it's just a matter of  opinion.  We ARE the
experts, no matter how good people might think their  ears are.

Give 'em a fork and a hammer and see what they can come up with!

Dave Stahl

.   a message dated 9/10/2005 9:56:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,