Caster Rebuilding

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:22:26 -0700 (PDT)

I'm sure you know, Terry, that pianos, especially
grands, shouldn't be pushed around much, so I doubt
it's an issue. ( I just had the front legs break off
one, and miss my toes by inches! ) I doubt that these
things have "worn" much, unless someone used the piano
for a shopping cart. I'd advise a little lube and put
them back in.
    I always tell customers to NEVER push a  grand on
its normal legs, unless at least three people are
lifting simultaneously, to get weight off of them.
     If, though, you're feeling ultrafanatic, you
might investrigate putting in a bronze bushing sleeve.
     Thump

--- Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> I have a set of three original brass casters for an
> 1890s Knabe grand. They appear to be in good
> condition - a little buffing and they'll look great.
> However, I wonder about the swivel function. A
> picture is below:
>

> The big round cup end and the caster end are two
> separate pieces, connected with, and swivelling on,
> a pounded-in short steel rod piece. It does not
> appear to have bearings. My concern is to have a
> good swivel function. They appear to function, but I
> can't easily try it with weight on it. Is there any
> way to rebuild such an apparatus? Should/could
> grease be injected between the cup and caster
> sections?
>
> Terry Farrell

Yahoo! for Good
Watch the Hurricane Katrina Shelter From The Storm concert
http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/shelter