Overpulls was Re: Best Tuning Strategy using SAT III

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:43:14 -0500

Terry asked: "If I understand you correctly, you tune the piano to A440 by ear and then use an ETD and do a pitch raise? Why not just use the ETD in the first place? Isn't that what it's for? Maybe I don't understand"

I'll explain, others might be in the same boat.

When I use the ETD, my pukingly persistent predeliction for perfectionism takes over and I just have to stop the lights. So for the example given, where accuracy isn't the issue, but speed is, I can go faster just setting a rough temperament, then octaves up and down using only fifths as checks (double octaves or arpeggiated chords in the upper treble). Am I unique, or just weird. (Please don't answer. <G>)

As to the idea of a one-pass 100 cent raise .... I can't imagine a 100 cent raise then a fine tune and out the door, stability wise. Maybe you've got your pitch raise and hammer techniques more refined than I do, but for anything over about 30 cents, I'm inclined to raise pitch, rough tune, fine tune.  -?-

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell
To: Pianotech
Sent: 09/12/2005 10:29:30 AM
Subject: Re: Overpulls was Re: Best Tuning Strategy using SAT III

FWIW, I pitch raise pianos that are up to 100 cents flat in one pass on a regular basis. That is, of course, followed by a "fine" tuning pass. Only on rare occasions do I have a string break on a large pitch raise.

If I understand you correctly, you tune the piano to A440 by ear and then use an ETD and do a pitch raise? Why not just use the ETD in the first place? Isn't that what it's for? Maybe I don't understand.

I experimented with a 100-year old Everett grand in my shop one time to see how far above pitch you could go before strings popped. Quite clearly these were original strings. Typically you could go 200 to 400 cents sharp before they broke.

Terry Farrell