Overpulls was Re: Best Tuning Strategy using SAT III

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 04:14:41 -0400

As to the idea of a one-pass 100 cent raise .... I can't imagine a 100 =
cent raise then a fine tune and out the door, stability wise. Maybe =
you've got your pitch raise and hammer techniques more refined than I =
do, but for anything over about 30 cents, I'm inclined to raise pitch, =
rough tune, fine tune.  -?-

Well, first of all, most large pitch raises utilizing a good ETD =
correctly, will get you fairly close to target. And sure, a tuning pass =
after that will have compromises, but I figure no matter what you do =
tuning-wise in that situation, you aren't going to have a very stable =
tuning anyway. In such a situation I also give the piano owner an =
explanation regarding relative tuning instability related to the pitch =
raise and that next tuning (within 6 months) should produce a better =
tuning and a more stable tuning.

So often the folks have been listening to this not-tuned-in-30-years =
piano for a long time. I've never had anyone complain about the results, =
and I've had a number of folks do backflips over how they just can't =
believe how fabulous their 1948 Lester spinet sounds!

IMHO, a reasonable approach to a very imperfect situation.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20