President's message

timothy ehlen tehlen@uiuc.edu
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:52:01 -0500

List,

As mainly a "reader," I appreciate learning so much from
your conversations and archives.  As a Steinway artist
and university prof. who enjoys working on his own
pianos, my perspective might be a bit different from a
typical customer.  Both sides of this discussion make
valid points, but my only concern is an attitude that "my
work is always perfect since I'm the pro."  I can't afford
that view of myself as a musician or teacher:  as a
teacher, much of it involves seeing and respecting the
perspective of other people (even when I also see their
sophomorism); as a musician, a self-critical attitude
promotes growth, improvement, work, etc.  BTW, even
though I'm the "expert," I'm always learning from my
students.

A list of my experience with technicians could go on and
on, and most of them are very positive, but when they're
not so positive, it is often due to this attitude.  Here's a
question for you: I've seen local techs who don't set pins
properly, then when the pins slip after a rehearsal, they
want to charge more to fix unisons before the
performance.  Who's to know who's "right" here?
Perhaps it's the piano, perhaps the player is being too
picky, yes--but there's also the possibility the technician
isn't setting the strings and pins properly and doesn't
realize this.  Is it just a question of the technician's time?
I don't know the answer to this, but wouldn't you agree
that if a piano goes out of tune after 1/2 hour of playing,
there's probably a problem with the technician's
technique (I'm not talking about old PSO's)?

On one occasion, I saw a store technician voice a
hammer past the point of deadness in the attempt to
eliminate a buzz, when the actual problem was a damper
wire touching the string.  Then there were the leather key
bushings that squeaked and stuck, that a technician at a
major university did not notice.  OK--you get the point--I'm
not trying to pick on technicians.  Technicians are skilled
professionals, and, yes, some are artists.

Anyone can miss something--a pianist can misread a
note or harmony, and when this happens to me, I'm
grateful if someone tells me.  I don't want to spend time
practicing a misreading.  That's a clear-cut case, and
most situations aren't that clear.  Still, I think no matter
how much of an expert you are, it's good to be responsive
to people's perceptions, and to realize that there's always
the chance that you might have missed something.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Tim

Timothy Ehlen
U of Illinois