President's message

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 9:52:07 -0700

Tim wrote...

>List,

>As mainly a "reader," I appreciate learning so much from
>your conversations and archives.  As a Steinway artist
>and university prof. who enjoys working on his own
>pianos, my perspective might be a bit different from a
>typical customer.  Both sides of this discussion make
>valid points, but my only concern is an attitude that "my
>work is always perfect since I'm the pro."  I can't afford
>that view of myself as a musician or teacher:  as a
>teacher, much of it involves seeing and respecting the
>perspective of other people (even when I also see their
>sophomorism); as a musician, a self-critical attitude
>promotes growth, improvement, work, etc.  BTW, even
>though I'm the "expert," I'm always learning from my
students.

I'm sure professional piano technicians are going to do everything they can in their work with their professional pianist
clients...they just don't want to be taken advantage with unrealistic expectations.
You say you enjoy working on your own pianos.   Do you feel you have become skilled at this or are you dabbling?

>A list of my experience with technicians could go on and
>on, and most of them are very positive, but when they're
>not so positive, it is often due to this attitude.  Here's a
>question for you: I've seen local techs who don't set pins
>properly, then when the pins slip after a rehearsal, they
>want to charge more to fix unisons before the
>performance.  Who's to know who's "right" here?
>Perhaps it's the piano, perhaps the player is being too
>picky, yes--but there's also the possibility the technician
>isn't setting the strings and pins properly and doesn't
>realize this.  Is it just a question of the technician's time?
>I don't know the answer to this, but wouldn't you agree
>that if a piano goes out of tune after 1/2 hour of playing,
>there's probably a problem with the technician's
>technique (I'm not talking about old PSO's)?

Tuning before the rehearsal and before the concert is not unusual if perfection is the goal.
If one tuning only, I'd skip the rehearsal and tune before the concert.
Certainly a little ripeness after a heavy rehearsal can happen depending on lighting/heat, opened doors and letting in cold air.
All these are factors that pianist don't often consider...

>On one occasion, I saw a store technician voice a
>hammer past the point of deadness in the attempt to
>eliminate a buzz, when the actual problem was a damper
>wire touching the string.

Many store technicians are just starting out and their skill level is low...not all store technicians, mind you.
Your example is of a low skilled "tooner"

Then there were the leather key
>bushings that squeaked and stuck, that a technician at a
>major university did not notice.  OK--you get the point--I'm
>not trying to pick on technicians.  Technicians are skilled
>professionals, and, yes, some are artists.

An example of a human...we all make mistakes and sometimes don't see the forest
for the trees.  You probably pointed this out to him and he corrected it?   I tuned for Keith Jarrett once and missed a buzz from a loose key strip nut.   He asked about the buzz and I corrected it...some pianists have really great ears...

>Anyone can miss something--a pianist can misread a
>note or harmony, and when this happens to me, I'm
>grateful if someone tells me.  I don't want to spend time
>practicing a misreading.  That's a clear-cut case, and
>most situations aren't that clear.  Still, I think no matter
>how much of an expert you are, it's good to be responsive
>to people's perceptions, and to realize that there's always
>the chance that you might have missed something.

>Just my 2 cents worth.

Good to hear your comments....